Jump to the post that solved this thread.
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Startup Problems
01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Solved: 4 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks, 19 Hours, 16 Minutes, 14 Seconds ago Startup Problems
A friend of mine is having issues with his computer on startup. It is a Dell laptop with Vista installed. It has 4 GB RAM. It will get to the Vista loading screen with the green bar at the bottom and sometimes it will malfunction (sometimes blue screen and memory dump then restart, sometimes it just restarts with no warning) there. Sometimes he can get to the login screen and malfunction (same as above), and sometimes he can get to his desktop, but then it won't load much, and as soon as the desktop appears it will freeze, and we can only move the cursor with the mouse.

I'm assuming it's a corrupt operating system file or some kind of virus that is activated during startup. I also had the thought that the hard drive could have bad sectors, but I ran the CHKDSK and it said it fixed one error. Finally, I thought it could be the RAM, but I just ran a RAM test a few seconds ago and it said that it found no errors.

He has files on there that he needs to keep. Of course, he didn't back anything up. How could I get to his files, boot into the command prompt? Safe mode does not work either.

What do you guys think?

Raidmax Smilodon
AMD FX-8350 | Noctua NH-U12S cooler
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Solved: 4 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks, 19 Hours, 16 Minutes, 14 Seconds ago RE: Startup Problems
I found the command prompt. Tongue

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Solved: 4 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks, 19 Hours, 16 Minutes, 14 Seconds ago RE: Startup Problems
When doing data recovery off a troubled computer, I always remove the drive. Never let the OS (or whatever software bug) corrupt your File System, & make a bad situation worse!

As I was reading over your description, I was thinking RAM myself. Intermittent problems are almost always caused by RAM. Because the storage is Random, after all, & that means problems are all over the place, & sometimes not even a problem at all.

-#2pencil-

[Image: lovelinux.gif]
01-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I did multiple RAM tests, and they all came up clean. It's not really intermittent, as it always messes up at some point or another, but I guess I could agree that the problem pops up at different times.

What are you suggesting I do when removing the drive?

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
(01-27-2010 11:48 PM)RWenger Wrote:  What are you suggesting I do when removing the drive?
Pull the drive.

Attach via an external enclosure.

Put on a good, working system.

Write files to DVD.

-#2pencil-

01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok, that's about what I was thinking you were going to say. I don't have an external enclosure though. Where would be the cheapest place to get one? Newegg?

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Cheapest? I don't know. I got mine throughout the years, here & there.

I tend to buy items from ComputerGeeks.com more than Newegg.

-#2pencil-

01-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree with file recovery and I like newegg's service/prices. Perhaps your "friend" will be willing to pay for it after after all it is his/her data. Although if not it would perhaps handy to have later on. You will want to run a through spyware/virus scan before you do ANYTHING with the files on your computer. Also I suggest that you try to boot up in safe mode and if it freezes take note of the last file listed. If it does fully boot pull up the command prompt and run sfc /scannow. You must scroll to the shortcut, right click, and select run as administrator. Also run a malware scan; have the system disk on hand. Disable automatic reboot just to be sure. You can also run a bootable linux (ie live) distribution such as knoppix or ununtu; a successful long term run of that would probably rule out hardware.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
01-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I did run a live CD of Xubuntu to rule out RAM, although I didn't run it for very long. I guess I should run it for longer next time.

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-28-2010, 01:11 AM
My first guess was a bad stick of RAM... Not sure what else it could be, but a virus is likely.

Google Talk ID: gt4awd@gmail.com
My Website - I.D.W.
Email: gt4awd [at] lycos [dot] com
My YouTube Videos
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
No2pencil: Is something like this what you're talking about? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=3770
Or, this one is cheaper:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=...cpc=CBLbsc

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-31-2010, 01:29 AM
How about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817366014

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I ended up getting this: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.as...6817388010

I know the reviews aren't the best, but I decided to get it anyways. I'm posting from his laptop now with a Xubuntu live CD just to make certain that it isn't hardware-related, which it doesn't seem to be. It's running fine for me right now.

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
02-01-2010, 01:26 AM
So, around $20 dollars... Not a bad deal, and it doesn't look like a bad product either.

My Website - I.D.W.
My YouTube Videos
02-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I'll keep you guys posted on how it works. Now I just have to wait since I used the cheaper 4-7 day shipping. Sad

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
02-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Sorry about not responding to your email...... been dealing with home security issues.

I bought an enclosure similar to that one from a local repair shop & it had a dead board. But it wasn't the same brand name as yours.

I have both enclosures like you bought as well as the cable only converters that you mentioned above. They both serve their own purpose.

-#2pencil-

02-05-2010, 10:37 PM
No problem No2. Apparently, an enclosure wasn't necessary anyways...

I got the enclosure today, and I spent the afternoon backing everything up. Then I put the Vista CD in. When I had put it in before to see if I could repair the OS I couldn't find an option to repair the OS. So when it loaded from the CD, it asked what language, keyboard layout, etc. I wanted to use TO REINSTALL VISTA. I chose those options, and on the next screen there was the option to REPAIR VISTA. I decided to try it out of curiosity, and tada, it worked.

Basically, I ordered an enclosure for NO REASON. It really pisses me off that they hid the repair option under the language selection. I could have fixed it a week and a half ago if they had put that option before the language selection. Not only that, but I'm out of $17.48 for an enclosure.

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
[Image: smack.gif]

Can you return it?

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I'll probably have a use for it later. Why return it and pay a 15% restocking fee?

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
02-06-2010, 01:25 AM
You will use it later...

My Website - I.D.W.
My YouTube Videos
Jump to the post that solved this thread.
Thread Closed