Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Postcount Information
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Postcount Information
I wanted to discuss some of the benefits and drawbacks of using postcount on a forum. Of course, as we all know here, postcount is a measure of how many posts or articles a user has made. Some forums use it while other forums have disabled postcount.

Postcount can be beneficial for people to determine a specific user's reputation. The more posts a user has, the more likely he contributes a lot of information to the online community. It can also generate activity because the poster might want to increase his postcount to increase his aforementioned reputation.

Of course, wanting to increase your postcount can be detrimental to a forum community as well. It could encourage people to spam the forum with useless posts with the sole intention of increasing their postcount. This activity could be driven by the desire to create a signature link or get promoted on the forum. A forum concentrated on postcount can make the support or information provided on the forum be of less quality.

So guys, what are your opinions on using postcount on a forum?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2009, 12:38 AM
RE: Postcount Information
A post count simply shows how active a user is. Activity is not equal to quality.

-#2pencil-

[Image: 53855050049.4874.203066657.png] [Image: lovelinux.gif]
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2009 12:56 AM by townsbg.)
I think that a post count is good but a forum should also stress a rating system. Perhaps also recognition of members that actively contribute and have high quality posts, awarded at the discretion of the forum staff.

Perhaps we could implement a group to recognize such posters.

[Image: dance.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
11-12-2009, 12:59 AM
A rating system is good indeed. Do you guys think disabling postcount would make the forum better or worse?
11-12-2009, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2009 01:06 AM by townsbg.)
well some people rate a forum based in part on it's post count. I don't think that it should be disabled. Also some might give more weight to advice given by someone with a higher post count.

I also think for a good rating system members should be able to rate someone more than once. Perhaps also have ranks based on ratings.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

11-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm talking about the postcount of individual members. I agree about the weight, and I think that they should get more weight. They've been on the forum longer and have more experience.

I know how our current rating system is kind of limited that way, but I'm looking to change that.
11-12-2009, 01:40 AM
I don't think that the post count should be disabled.

-#2pencil-

[Image: 53855050049.4874.203066657.png] [Image: lovelinux.gif]
11-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Me either, but I was just asking a general forum administration question.
11-12-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't think it should be disabled either. I've never been on a forum where it was disabled...

Google Talk ID: gt4awd@gmail.com
My Website - I.D.W.
Email: gt4awd [at] lycos [dot] com
My YouTube Videos
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
meh, i've been to forums with post count disabled and it's not much of a difference from what we already have here. of courses like already mentioned, just because you post doesnt mean it's a good post, i know lots of people in some other forums (that im not mentioning) that have some members with high post counts because they spam, but in the same forum there is plenty of ligit talk.
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
In most cases a user with higher post count will be more knowledgeable about the particular topics being discussed on the specific forum. A forum centered around general conversation is the obvious exception. However, technical support, and say automotive forums high postcount is a good sign the user has helped others, and learned along the way. Of course, there's always the select users who contribute very little, and post a lot...

Google Talk ID: gt4awd@gmail.com
My Website - I.D.W.
Email: gt4awd [at] lycos [dot] com
My YouTube Videos
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2009 04:44 PM by townsbg.)
I agree with GT. I think that we should stick with it. However it isn't just how often someone helps someone else out but also (on a site such as ours) their professionalism which is where I think a rep system would be more useful especially if you base a ranking system on reputation rather than posts. But the rep system is only useful if everyone uses it so I think we should encourage everyone to provide rep, especially the staff, and that higher weight should be applied to the staff's rep. As it currently is a member can provide rep once whereas I think it would be good to be able to rate all posts (or perhaps instead posts in the technical sections) as I have seen on at least one other forum. Currently member rank is based solely on posts where perhaps it would be better to base it on rep or perhaps both if possible. I also think that there should be special recognition of regular professional posters as determined by the staff.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

11-13-2009, 03:26 AM
(11-12-2009 01:03 AM)townsbg Wrote:  I also think for a good rating system members should be able to rate someone more than once.
Done. Users can now add reputation to another user more than once. This was done with a plugin.

Quote:Perhaps also have ranks based on ratings.
The rating system could be used the same way as postcount; people could give rep to people (another account for giving themselves rep maybe) for no reason. I think the ranks now are fine.

I'm glad something productive came out of this thread, but you guys do realize that I was posting this as a question for general forum practices, not particularly this forum, right?
11-13-2009, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2009 11:59 AM by townsbg.)
(11-13-2009 03:26 AM)RWenger Wrote:  The rating system could be used the same way as postcount; people could give rep to people (another account for giving themselves rep maybe) for no reason.

I didn't think of that but surely we could catch them in the act of doing so. Perhaps that would be a good reason for basing rank both on ratings and post count, if that is possible. Another plugin perhaps? You and your plugins.Tongue As a way around that abuse perhaps you can make it so that a member has to have x number of posts before they can rate and/or be rated by anyone other than staff. A forum that I know of (the same one that allows rep on any post) requires that you give rep out to other people before you can apply more rep to the same member perhaps for that reason. Also on that system only certain members rep actually applies towards their score. Something to keep in mind.Idea

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I think our rep system will remain as it is for now. What's wrong with plugins? It's an easy way to customize the forum and add additional features.
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm just joking.Tongue

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member