Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Protecting my folders
12-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Not Solved Protecting my folders
I am using windows xp and I want to protect my folder and its content in it. Which is the best way to protect my folder from unauthrized access of others
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Not Solved RE: Protecting my folders
What do you mean by that.. Access through a network or direct on your system...

Thats two different ways of doing that!

Article Writing News
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Are you running on NTFS or FAT32?

NTFS is a requirement for security at the file & directory level. FAT32 simply does not offer this.

-#2pencil-

[Image: lovelinux.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Usually the easiest way to protect files is to place them in a password protected & encrypted ZIP folder... Smile

Google Talk ID: gt4awd@gmail.com
My Website - I.D.W.
Email: gt4awd [at] lycos [dot] com
My YouTube Videos
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
If you have XP pro you can encrypt files/folders with windows (how to). You can also block access to a folder using folder permissions in xp pro. Note that the user's folder under c:\documents and settings (which is where your personal documents are store by default) is automatically blocked from access by "standard users" by default but not from system administrators. In addition a system administrator can always use the permissions tab to gain access to another user's documents anyway but if the folder is encrypted by windows the files can't be accessed by even an administrator. However there is no point to this security if your account isn't password protected. Also note if you go with windows encryption the system admin can change or remove your password to access your account however upon doing so windows will remove the encryption certificate for your security. Without that certificate the files can no longer be accessed so you should back it up. Do not encrypt the certificate because if a system admin unlocks your account you will lose access to that in addition to your files. You do though have the option to password protect the certificate. Again those options are only available in XP pro.

There are various third party programs that will encrypt, hide, and/or password protect folders and files in various methods and security standards. I don't know how to advise you on that. Mainly it depends upon how secure you want your files. You can add a password to zip files but I don't know if that merely password protects it's contents or if the files are encrypted but WinRar can place files in an encrypted, compressed archive.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
03-23-2011, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 12:50 AM by rausiee.)
To protect your folder I suggest to use folder lock. Once you have to installed it and then give password and suggest it which folder you did not want to access by others. After doing this that folder is only visible to you and only you can able to access it.