Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Firefox slow
10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Not Solved Firefox slow
I've been having a problem for a while now. I often view lots of tabs at once for inventory at work, and it takes forever for all the tabs to load. I sit there staring at the monitor while the PC grinds to a halt. It seems like Fx only uses 25% of my CPU instead of all 100%. I've tried setting process affinity to use all 4 cores but it doesn't work. Is there any way to get Fx to use more of the CPU?

i3-2100
8GB RAM
Win7 64bit
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Not Solved RE: Firefox slow
When that problem occurs, try opening the control panel and looking under performance at your four cores (If it doesn't show all four cores, go to View > CPU History and click One Graph per CPU). Check if it looks like one core is forced to do all of the work. Let us know what you find.

By doing a little Googling, it looks like there are other users with the same problem. You might disable flash to check if that's your problem (See http://superuser.com/questions/35437/how...pu-problem ). Also, is CPU usage maxed out when it hangs, or is FireFox pretty much the only thing running?

Raidmax Smilodon
AMD FX-8350 | Noctua NH-U12S cooler
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
You don't want to run the cpu and 100% because then everything will hang. I recommend that you use ccleaner to clean your system.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
10-15-2012, 07:56 PM
(10-15-2012 04:40 PM)RWenger Wrote:  When that problem occurs, try opening the control panel and looking under performance at your four cores (If it doesn't show all four cores, go to View > CPU History and click One Graph per CPU). Check if it looks like one core is forced to do all of the work. Let us know what you find.

By doing a little Googling, it looks like there are other users with the same problem. You might disable flash to check if that's your problem (See http://superuser.com/questions/35437/how...pu-problem ). Also, is CPU usage maxed out when it hangs, or is FireFox pretty much the only thing running?

I don't see anything under the Performance screen except for the Windows performance scores. Fx is the only thing using any CPU and it's always 25% where the other 3 cores show 0% or 1-2%.

(10-15-2012 06:20 PM)townsbg Wrote:  You don't want to run the cpu and 100% because then everything will hang. I recommend that you use ccleaner to clean your system.

I don't want it to hit 100% on all cores, but only 25% of my CPU is doing any work while I sit there and wait. Seems like a waste.
10-15-2012, 09:09 PM
It looks like this problem has been documented for many years: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392073

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
(10-15-2012 09:09 PM)RWenger Wrote:  It looks like this problem has been documented for many years: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392073

Good God, you think they'd fix something this big but it's been around for 5+ years. Maybe I'll just have to switch to Chrome. I just have so many plugins that I love.
10-16-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm not sure if that is your problem, but it sure sounds like it.

Raidmax Smilodon
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
10-17-2012, 12:26 AM
I believe that software has to be programmed to use more than one core simultaneously before it will do so (multi-threading). I don't know this for sure but I'd be willing to bet that 1 instance of firefox uses only one thread and therefore everything that it processes will just go to one cpu even if you have multiple tabs open. It's easy to blame windows but I don't believe that's entirely right. You'd think by now that they would have programmed for multi-threading though.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
10-19-2012, 02:27 AM
I have moved this thread to software support as it is apparently not an issue related to hardware, but instead a programming/capability issue with software.

Google Talk ID: gt4awd@gmail.com
My Website - I.D.W.
Email: gt4awd [at] lycos [dot] com
My YouTube Videos