Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
CPU Cooler Replacement for AMD FX-8350
12-28-2015, 12:31 AM
Solved: 1 Year, 1 Month, 1 Week, 2 Days, 10 Hours, 56 Minutes, 2 Seconds ago CPU Cooler Replacement for AMD FX-8350
I have an AMD FX-8350 processor in my desktop, and the stock cooler sounds like a table saw cutting through wood when I'm doing anything CPU-intensive. I need to swap it out for an improvement. I'm looking for something very quiet that gets the job done. I'm not looking to overclock right now. Do you guys have a favorite cooler for the AM3+ socket?

While I'm at it, I've never replaced a CPU cooler before, and I know I'll need paste unless the cooler comes with it. Is there much difference in different thermal compounds, or is it all the same?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Solved: 1 Year, 1 Month, 1 Week, 2 Days, 10 Hours, 56 Minutes, 2 Seconds ago RE: CPU Cooler Replacement for AMD FX-8350
I'm not sure what to tell you when it comes to a cooler but the larger fan sizes (120 or 160 mm) are quieter since they don't have to run as fast to be effective. You might not need to get a new cooler but should be able to replace the fan. If you do so just make sure that it is blowing in the same direction. As for thermal compound I believe that silver is suppose to be the best and that is what I've used. Only put a thin layer.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
12-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Solved: 1 Year, 1 Month, 1 Week, 2 Days, 10 Hours, 56 Minutes, 2 Seconds ago RE: CPU Cooler Replacement for AMD FX-8350
(12-28-2015 12:31 AM)RWenger Wrote:  While I'm at it, I've never replaced a CPU cooler before, and I know I'll need paste unless the cooler comes with it. Is there much difference in different thermal compounds, or is it all the same?

It's certainly not all the same, having seen the effects of poor paste. We always used arctic silver, & never saw a repair come back with thermal compound breakdown.

-#2pencil-

[Image: lovelinux.gif]
12-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Yes don't use the provided paste.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

02-19-2016, 01:39 AM
I finally got around to buying a cooler, and I followed your advice getting a cooler with a larger 120mm fan and Arctic Silver paste.

I went with a Noctua NH-U12S cooler. It barely fits in my case, but it cools like a champ. Playing GTA V at high settings, my CPU never went over 51 degrees C, an improvement of almost 20 degrees. I could overclock if I needed to, although as I said before, I have no plans to do that at the moment. It's also quiet, which was one of my main concerns. So far, I'm really happy with it. Smile

Here's how big it is in my case:

If anyone stumbles upon this post and is considering this for themselves, the Noctua NH-U12S is definitely compatible with these components:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (WAY better than the stock cooler)
Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP (Had to remove the side LED fan to make it fit)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (If you have a fan mounted on the side closer to the RAM, it might obstruct the 4th RAM slot)

EDIT: Noctua NH-U12S on Amazon (Affiliate Link)

Raidmax Smilodon
AMD FX-8350 | Noctua NH-U12S cooler
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM
02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Glad to hear it. FYI the fan on the back should be blowing out.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

02-19-2016, 11:09 AM
(02-19-2016 02:01 AM)townsbg Wrote:  FYI the fan on the back should be blowing out.

I made sure it was! The cooler fan in the configuration in the image blew the wrong way, so I had to move it to the other side of the cooler.

Raidmax Smilodon
AMD FX-8350 | Noctua NH-U12S cooler
GeForce GTX 960
8GB RAM