Jump to the post that solved this thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Remote Desktop to server
09-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Solved: 4 Years, 10 Months, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 5 Hours, 36 Minutes, 28 Seconds ago Remote Desktop to server
I have a little "server" that I'm trying to remote connect to however I can't with remote desktop connection. When I do I get the error that I'm attaching below.

I've added both my users (one of which is an admin) to the remote desktop users group under computer management. Also in user rights assignments under local security policies I've added my users and their groups (as well as the remote desktop users) to the allow log on through terminal services.

I'm not sure what else to check but currently I can only connect to this server through logmein and it isn't connect to a monitor. Any ideas? OS Windows 2003 SP 2. I've been able to remote desktop before but suddenly I wasn't able to so I installed logmein.

[Image: t0209.gif]
TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 08:10 PM by no2pencil.)
Solved: 4 Years, 10 Months, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 5 Hours, 36 Minutes, 28 Seconds ago RE: Remote Desktop to server
Open the local users & computers from the start menu. This is normally start -> administration, but without knowing which version of Windows Server that you are running, I can only suggest this path, &/or the control panel.

With this control/snap-in open, right click the user you want to have the ability to remote connect, select properties, & under there look for the 'member of' tab. In the 2nd input box you can manually provide their user name, click 'lookup user' & that should auto-complete the user with the workgroup or domain, if it was given correctly.

The user must be granted the permission of remote connectivity, & this is done by putting them into that group, just as the error message indicates.

Since you say that you were able to do this once before, but are not able to now :

a.) can you verify that the users are in the correct groups?
b.) can you verify that the users accounts are not locked out?
c.) when was the last time the server was booted? It is possible that remote services are stopped, disabled, or hung (& not listening for connections)

Also you should have a look under the Windows Event viewer on the server. This should be the 1st place you look when a Windows service is not behaving correctly.

-#2pencil-

[Image: lovelinux.gif]
09-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Solved: 4 Years, 10 Months, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 5 Hours, 36 Minutes, 28 Seconds ago RE: Remote Desktop to server
As I stated I had previously verified that both the users are in the remote desktop connections group. Also I am able to connect to the computer using logmein (which uses local accounts) so the accounts are not disabled (something I just verified).

Every time I attempt to log in this error shows up under event viewer
Quote:Event Type: Warning
Event Source: TermService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1010
Date: 9/11/2011
Time: 8:54:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ***-2K3
Description:
The terminal server could not locate a license server. Confirm that all license servers on the network are registered in WINS/DNS, accepting network requests, and the Terminal Server Licensing Service is running.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There are also 5 entries for each attempt under the security logging but I really can't tell if they are successes or failures. I don't remember what I did when it stopped working and I really don't remember the last time I ran this system. I do remember not being able to log in at the time but I didn't take the time to investigate.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I removed the terminal server role and now it lets me log in.Smile

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Glad you got it figured out!

-#2pencil-

[Image: lovelinux.gif]
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah so am I because it was really starting to bug me.Smile In addition logmein was using valuable resources-I only have 512 mb of ram on that system.

TechnoFyed Forums
Senior Staff Member

11-30-2011, 12:45 AM
 Remote Desktop Services (RDS) is a capability in Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1, which separates where the desktop or application is used from where it runs. It accelerates desktop & application deployments enabling any client to run any application or operating system. RDS also helps to keep critical intellectual property secure and to simplify regulatory compliance by removing applications and data from the desktop. RDS enables a full fidelity desktop or application experience and efficiently connects remote workers from managed or unmanaged devices.
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2016, 04:42 AM
Try AEROADMIN instead of RDP
Hope this helps
Find all posts by this user
Jump to the post that solved this thread.